Cinnamon News. informed, without the bias
Monday, August 17
← Front page Single source · not yet corroborated

Alleged victim sent Alan Jones ‘embarrassing’ texts to keep ‘most powerful man in Australia’ on side, court told

World · 2 min · 5h ago · The Guardian
Alleged victim sent Alan Jones ‘embarrassing’ texts to keep ‘most powerful man in Australia’ on side, court told
Photo: The Guardian ↗
Lenses

One of Alan Jones’s alleged victims has told a Sydney court that he sent “distressing and embarrassing” messages about his penis to the broadcaster to keep “the most powerful man in Australia” on side.

Complainant C was a young man when employed as a driver for Jones at 2GB radio. He has previously told Downing Centre local court that Jones touched his penis and kissed him during his employment.

The broadcaster has pleaded not guilty to 20 indecent assault charges and two counts of sexual touching in relation to six men.

The defence has argued that Jones and complainant C texted each other in a “flirty” way years after C stopped working for the 2GB host but Jones never indecently assaulted the complainant.

Defence barrister Gabrielle Bashir SC said on Monday that C’s explicit texts were not consistent with him being scared of the defendant or Jones ever having assaulted him.

The texting relationship between the young man and Jones continued for several years after C’s employment ended, the court was told. One exchange after C had left 2GB included Jones asking about the complainant’s penis.

“Fuck how big is it … I haven’t seen it,” Jones wrote, the court heard on Monday.

C replied: “Between 1-10 I’d say a comfortable 8 :).”

Complainant C said he regretted the messages, but felt he had had to respond in that way.

“I feel physically sick about what I wrote back then and even sicker reading the questions he asked me,” C told the court.

“I was extremely intimidated by this man. This bloke was asking me whether I was circumcised, whether I was hard.

“I was texting the most powerful man in Australia.”

Bashir put it to C that Jones had never touched him.

“He had no idea how big it [C’s penis] was because he had never touched it,” she said in court.

Earlier, the prosecutor Georgina Wright asked C about an incident that is not the subject of a charge. C said Jones had kissed him inside a walk-in wardrobe in James Packer’s personal suite at the Crown Towers hotel in Melbourne. Packer was executive chairman of Crown Resorts.

Complainant C said he and a friend went for a drink in Jones’s room when they were visiting Melbourne for a sporting event and they knew it was “nice” because it was Packer’s personal suite.

Jones was watching Wimbledon on TV in the early 2010s when a butler offered the younger men drinks, C said. They sat on a couch together and drank beer.

after newsletter promotion

C told the court that Jones offered to take him alone for a tour of the suite, saying: “Come on [C] I’ll take you on a tour.” They left his friend behind in the lounge room, the court was told.

Jones allegedly went into a “pretty big” walk-in wardrobe, and C followed him. C told the court Jones then said “I’ve missed you” and the broadcaster “kissed me”.

Wright asked: “Did you respond in any way?”

C told the court: “I pushed him back; he was very close to my body. I put two hands up and pushed him back. I said ‘Let’s go back to [my friend]’.”

The court heard Jones stopped what he was doing and the two men went back to the lounge room. He didn’t tell his friend what had happened.

Complainant C, the second alleged victim to give evidence, said he told friends and family about the abuse once he had stopped working for Jones. Later still, he told the journalists Peter FitzSimons and Kate McClymont at the Sydney Morning Herald.

Years later, when he had left 2GB, C told his father-in-law he had been indecently assaulted by Jones when his relative suggested MeToo victims were motivated by money.

C said the disgraced producer Harvey Weinstein was in the news at the time and his father-in-law made a comment about people making up claims for money and “just to make a name for themselves”.

“I said now is probably a good time to tell you that this is what Alan Jones did to me,” C told the court. “And it’s responses like that that would stop me from telling what happened. I am now the father of your grandchild, and I wouldn’t want my name out there.”

The court heard that in October 2019, 2GB broadcaster Ray Hadley told C that FitzSimons was researching a story about Jones. C said he opened up to Hadley.

“I shut the doors to the rest of the office, and I said to Ray, ‘I know we joke a bit about it but some of the stuff he did to me was quite fucked up,” C told the court.

C then agreed to speak with FitzSimons on the condition he not be identified. After C spoke to the journalist, Hadley asked if he was okay.

“I just broke down sobbing, I said, ‘[Jones] is a fucking cunt, he’s just a cunt’,” C said.

C said he was thinking about his young baby at the time and it hit home.

“I’d never spoken about it in that way before, in that sort of detail where it wasn’t just an off-the-cuff conversation,” he told the court.

The trial before judge Glenn Walsh continues.

Read the full story at The Guardian ↗ · The Guardian ↗ · The Guardian ↗ · The Guardian ↗ · The Guardian ↗ · The Guardian ↗

How we verified this · single source · not yet corroborated

The Guardian ✓ corroborates

The thread

  1. Why is Australia's mushroom killer back in court this week?